Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Adventures Begin!


I did it! 

After years of thinking about it, and several weeks of procrastinating about it, I have finally completed and posted an online dating profile. I knew that the time had come when my two favorite excuses were no longer valid. Well that... and I needed blog material!

I didn't plan for joining an online dating site to be my jumping off point when I first started talking about blogging my mid-life dating adventures. To tell you the truth, I didn't know where my blog was going to start because I didn't actually have any mid-life dating adventures. The only date I'd had in the past 4 years was in January - and he never called back. So the idea about blogging about dating meant that I would have to, yes.... hold onto your hats... start dating again! Either that or I was going to bore a lot (a few?) people with posts about snuggling with Thomas McKitty and watching DVD's. Not my idea of an entertaining read!

I had made a couple of halfhearted attempts at dating during the 7 years since my divorce, but they had been unsuccessful and I hadn't been very motivated to do anything about it. I guess I just wasn't ready to date. But this time was different! I wasn't looking for a man to spend the rest of my life with; I wanted to go out on a date... or a few dates... and online dating seemed like the fastest way to meet single men. They certainly weren't lined up anywhere else with little name tags that said, "Hi, my name's tonsoffun2010".

My first excuse for avoiding dating websites had always been the cost. It's not that I'm cheap (although some of my friends may disagree with that statement), but I do live on a modest budget. I just couldn't justify spending money to join some of the more well known sites when the results are so questionable. That excuse was eliminated when a high school friend told me about the totally free site that she had met her current husband on. My second excuse - no recent picture - was resolved a couple of weeks ago when another friend was kind enough to spend an afternoon taking pictures of me so that I could have "before" and "after" photos for Facebook. It was time for me to step off my beaten path and jump feet first into something new.

So I sat down Sunday afternoon to fill out the profile and complete the "chemistry test" that promises to match me with "personalities that lead to long lasting stable relationships" in the name of good-natured experimentation. Sure I was curious to "discover relationship needs" and where I "screwed up in past relationships", but more importantly I was interested in seeing what kind of results I would get. As I clicked "Find Your Soulmate" - but I just want a date! - I vowed that whatever happened I would be open-minded. 

And share everything on this blog!

1 comment:

Ginny McKinney said...

I love it, Val!!! Can't wait to follow along on your journey! You write very well and engage your audience.

Post a Comment